30 Meals You Can Make Ahead and Freeze
My sweet cousin Linda is soon to have her third baby! When she asked me what our favorite freezer meals were, I thought I'd put together a list for all of you, and for myself to reference back to in the future.
For Christmas, we gave my parents the gift of a stocked freezer. For months I made double and froze half of whatever meals would freeze well, and they were both shocked and delighted at this gift since they both work and often don't have time or energy to cook dinner on weeknights.
These would be a great way to bless a mom who just had a baby (sorry I can't ship them Linda!), a family dealing with illness, an elderly neighbor or relative, or just someone you know who is too busy to regularly cook for themselves.
So here are some of the things I make and freeze, and some of our favorite recipes for these meals. If I don't have a recipe linked, it is because I don't use one, and will share my own with you in the coming weeks and months.
1. Shepherd's Pie
2. Chicken Pot Pie (Note: I use a frozen pie crust when I make this so it is easier. If I am really organized, I make batches of pie crust and freeze them ahead for using in recipes like this too.)
3. Baked Ziti
5. Instant Pot Beef Stew
6. Chicken Soup
7. Pulled Pork (The recipe for this is ridiculously simple. Pour a beer or a soda if you don't drink over your pork shoulder, and cook it low and slow for many hours in either a crock pot, instant pot, or dutch oven. Add your choice of BBQ sauce when serving)
8. Macaroni and Cheese
9. Pork Chops Sautéed with Apple and Onions
10. Stir Fry (just make fresh rice)
11. Roast Chicken Thighs + String Beans
13. Mexican Casserole I add spiced meat, peppers and onions, and guacamole + sour cream to this
14. Breakfast Burritos
15. Red Lentil Soup
16. Meatballs (I then serve them over pasta, or in rolls for meatball subs)
17. Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
18. Pancakes / Waffles
19. Homemade Pizza (or pizza dough!)
21. Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls (or stuffed cabbage rolls!)
22. Breakfast Sandwiches
23. Loaded Baked Potato Soup
24. Hamburger Patties (reheat in oven or toaster oven and add fresh cheese, or cook in gravy with mushrooms for salisbury steaks)
25. Homemade Chicken Tenders
26. Parmesan or Coconut crusted Tilapia
27. Cooked trout and other fish (I use it in fish tacos or curry)
30. Chicken or Eggplant Parmesan (just serve over fresh pasta)
There are some other recipes that you can make ahead and freeze, but I prefer not too. Goulash, cream based pastas, fried rice, mashed potatoes, chicken breast + sauce, are some of these for me. I know that others prefer never to freeze eggs. To each their own tastes!
Do you have more make-ahead meals to add to this list?